KalahariLog

Saturday, May 12, 2007

 
Tomorrow morning Cubbie and I leave for the US. I cannot believe how quickly
the time has passed! I feel very lucky to have had such a rich and rewarding
experience.

For the past few months I have been volunteering at an orphanage which is
located on tribal land in Tlokweng. The children are aged 6 months to 6 years
and are full of life. I help out with whatever happens to be going on--I help
with crafts, dancing, exercise, English, tying shoelaces, pouring lunch time
cups of tea etc. Some of the children are not orphans and go home each day to
their parents and guardians. These children are allowed to attend kindergarten
at the orpahage for a fee of about 1400Pula per quarter ($230 USD). I know I
should not have favourites, but I just adore one child who does not speak. He
has a bright shining smile and whenever he sees me enter the orphanage, he will
leave his classroom and run up to me. He also loves to play with my hair and
hold my hand.

One of the best experiences I had while volunteering happened one morning while
I was teaching a group of children the 'itsy bistsy spider' rhyme. I thought
that the hand actions would be quite fun for them. At the beginning a few
children were copying the actions but since the children only know a few words
of English, they all got bored and decided to start singing 'we wish you a
merry Christmas'. Batswana children know what they want and they go for it!


Yesterday my friends held a 'champagne' farewell party for me. The nice thing
about getting together is that it seems like a United Nations meeting. My
friends come from Botswana, South Africa, England, Kenya, Canada, Zimbabwe,
India, America, Holland, and Australia. We had a great time and even a
few tears were shed! I will miss them very much.

Tanya

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   January 2007   February 2007   March 2007   April 2007   May 2007  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?