We got back to Gaborone on Sunday. Tanya, Cubbie and I are well – which is the most important thing, really. Ah yes, while we were away we got robbed. Somebody broke into the house one night and took away most of our electronics. Our friend, who was looking after Cubbie, found the door open the next morning. Luckily, Cubbie was still in the house – probably too scared to go outside. A few days later we got back and found the house with a spiffy new door and a shiny new key. I guess the thieves had our best interests at heart – to free us of material possessions so as to enrich our spiritual lives.
The trip to the police was a surreal experience. The woman (detective?) who took our statements was totally, and I mean totally disinterested in the whole thing. She had a blackboard in the room with motivational quotes on it such as “It is not in your environment; it is not in luck or chance, or the help of others; it is in yourself alone.” I would have suggested my favorite Reagan quote to her, as a motto of a sort: “They say hard work never hurt anybody, but I figure why take the chance.” The only similarity between our detective and Mma Ramotswe was that they were both traditionally built. The compassion, the quick mind, the curiosity – they left all of these with the fictional detective and gave the real one a great deal of yawning instead.