KalahariLog

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

 

After 3-5 days of decent rainfall in the last few weeks, things are starting to get more colorful around town. Most of the rainfall so far has been patchy with some areas getting quite a lot and others getting nothing at all. Our part of town has gotten measurable amounts maybe three times so far. The latest storm finally produced some substantial rain reported at 18mm. The temperature dropped below 20C for the first time in weeks. A couple of days later we are back to the high 30's but it's not like we are surprised -- we are in Africa, 152 kilometers shy of the Tropic of Capricorn. I don't yet know what type this tree is but I've seen a few of them around and they add to the tropical atmosphere. This one is in front of the Library at the University and provides excellent shade for dozens of students who have lunch there every day.


The "flamboyant" tree is the most colorful one, by far. After asking a many people about this tree, I finally got the flamboyant designation which eventually led to the real name of the tree, Royal Poinciana, also known Gulmohar, Peacock Flower, and Flame Tree, among others. It is a native of Madagascar but has been widely cultivated and is now popular in most tropical countries. The tree is relatively small (5-8m tall) but umbrella-shaped and wide. It seems to bloom for at least 3-4 weeks with spectacular orange/red faintly orchid-like flowers. It looks much like an acacia or mesquite tree with small bright green leaves and very large brown seed pods. The seed pods can be used as percussion instruments and make pretty decorations. Much like mesquite trees in the desert south-west of the US, the flamboyant tree sheds its leaves when there isn't enough moisture in the ground and comes back to life after rainfall. Wikipedia claims that the tree can be found as far north as Tucson but I don't recall seeing one. We're going to definitely look for it when we get back.


Tanya's favorite is the frangipani, also known as plumeria. They come in various colors, mostly mellow yellows and pinks with very nice aroma. These are also very popular in tropical climates, but their origin is in Central America. Frangipanis are related to oleanders and both are poisonous, but used in many native medicines. The story I read about it says that Frangipani was the name of a 16th century Italian family that started making perfume out of the plumeria blossoms. Leis in Hawaii are often made from these blossoms but unlike the orchid-leis, which can be eaten, plumeria blossoms are not good for you.


The papaya trees (or paw-paw as they are called here) are hard to miss, especially now that the green papayas are starting to ripen. I pass this tree every day on my way to the University and it was just last week that I noticed it. Until recently the tree didn't look good at all and I thought there might be something wrong with it. But now that I've been looking for them it seems that most of the trees have the same look. These are also native to the Americas but are quite common here. Every supermarket sells papaya fruit and they are excellent and not very expensive.


There are quite a few cacti around town, but other than the native aloes, I don't think many of the rest are native here. Still, most seem to do well as transplants. Talking of transplants, there are many eucalyptus trees here as well. Some of them seem over a hundred years old and they must have been brought in from Australia in the 19th century. They have adapted well and are now reproducing successfully. I am not sure if they are considered an invasive species yet but I wouldn't be surprised if they are.


One of the nicest places in town is a plant nursery with a tea house called Sanitas. It was started in the 1970 by a Norwegian fellow by the name of Gus Nilsson. The trees, shrubs, and flowers planted all over the place are spectacular. The tea house serves excellent breakfast and dinner and they open at 7am which is nice as by 9am it is often quite hot. Most of the teahouse is in the shade provided by a giant fig tree whose fruit is edible too. Gus is still active even though he must be over 80 years old these days.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   January 2007   February 2007   March 2007   April 2007   May 2007  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?